- The Sheffield Response to the Taxpayers' Alliance
- Sheffield Labour Council: Seeking Sheffield Businesses to Kickstart Electric Vehicle Revolution
- Memo to Aspiring Sheffield Hallam Candidates
- Speech to Full Council: Council Tax Benefit
- Joining ASDA Community Team for a local Litter Pick
- Labour delivers a Living Wage for Sheffield
- Hestletine admits error - now we need solutions
- Hacked off
- Clegg pulls rug from under Sheffield
Recent blog posts
Jack on Twitter
Clegg pulls rug from under Sheffield
I managed to get another letter in the Star today - see below.
The Star reported on Monday that Nick Clegg wants Sheffield's economy to focus on technology and manufacturing. One of his first acts in government was to cancel investment in Forgemasters which would have done just that - he really does have some cheek!
Grand rhetoric is fine, but his government is doing precisely the opposite and making it much harder for Sheffield's economy to get an advantage. We have two fantastic universities that could put Sheffield at the cutting edge of global innovation, but tripling fees, cutting teaching budgets and slashing research investment makes that more difficult.
We also have an NHS "Trust of the Year", which undertakes groundbreaking medical and technological research and could turbo-charge our economy. But his totally ham-fisted reorganisation of the NHS and shrinking health budgets are making it tougher for Sheffield to seize opportunities in the health economy.
On every front Nick Clegg's government is making it harder for Sheffield to make the most of our unique selling points. If he really believes that Sheffield's economic future lies in high-tech manufacturing, he should change course and get behind Sheffield, rather than pulling the rug from under us.
A New Politics
As a local ward Councillor and community activist giving people a voice is one of my top priorities. I want everyone to feel they have a stake in our society - politics is central to that.
Click here to find out more about my style and the way forward